Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7, 2013

Hello dearest family! 

It has been a very, VERY interesting week. First and foremost, WE BAPTIZED!!! This baptism makes this the most successful change I've ever had! Win! I would love to put the picture, but for some reason it isn't showing up, so...deal with it. His name is Ricardo. He's an old man that really wanted to be baptized, cuz he used to be very much a drunk. But...he's repented! All is well! 

Want to know a fun thing that I started doing this week? Well...I started reading the BoM out loud during language study time. It was cool...I started reading the intro, and the testimonies of the 11 witnesses, and a short summary of everything, and about half way through the summary, I realized something. I realized that there was not a SINGLE word in ALL that I had just read that I didn't understand! Every once in awhile, I just have to stop and think...WOW! I SPEAK SPANISH! When did this happen?! HOW did this happen?! It was just one of those kind of surreal moments. I've been having those a lot lately.

Ok...I can't decide whether to start with the ridiculousness that happened on Sunday night, or my spiritual thought that I wanted to share with everyone............

Think I'll start with the tontería. So...on Sunday night, at about 8:15 or so, I decided I REEEEALLY needed to find a bathroom (Why is it that a lot of my stories begin like this?). We were near the church, so we decided to head on over to see if, by chance, there was someone there. As we walked by, I heard the companion of Elder Peña, Elder Cruz say, "Hey Elder Hopper!" It kind of surprised me that he was just sort of hanging out in the church. He was with this 18 year old in our ward. I knew that they were doing divisions, so I asked what was up! He said, "Well...we were going to meet Elder Peña and the other kid here at seven o'clock, but they haven't shown." So...we're an hour and fifteen minutes into Elder Peña being lost from the world. So, I sent Elder Cruz and his kid to go and check where they had appointments that day, and their close by investigators to see if they had heard anything. I was a bit frightened for him at this point. My companion and I hung out at the church, waiting for him to get back. At about 8:30, Elder Cruz came back, without word. Now I was really worried. So, after waiting another 15 minutes at the church, hoping he'd show, we decided to say goodbye to the kid Elder Cruz was with, and go home and call President. At 9:00, TWO HOURS after he was supposed to show up, there was still no sign from Elder Peña. We were calling the kid that he was with, but he wasn't answering the phone either. So we called the kids mom. No answer. I REALLY started to worry at this point. You must remember, as well, we hear of kidnappings here literally probably about once every other week. So...TWO HOURS after the appointed time, I was REALLY nervous. So I called President and explained the situation. His exact words, "Ooooooh this isn't good. This isn't good at all, Elder Hopper." He asked if we had searched all the places that we had already searched, and just kind of shut up for a second. After saying how bad it was once again, I asked, "So...what do I do, President?" Kiiiiind of desperately hoping for guidance. He told me, "Call your Bishop. Get leaders of the ward out looking for him, in GROUPS. DON'T LET ANYONE LOOK FOR HIM ALONE." So, in about five minutes, I had four search parties consisting of the Bishop, the Ward mission leader, a member of the High Counsel, and the Ward secretary out driving the streets looking for our little wayward missionary. By now it was about 9:15. President called me back and told me, "Look...if it's a kidnapping, I'll be getting phone calls from the kidnappers very soon. Look for him till I get that call." Then he told me to say a prayer, and get out looking for him myself and the other two elders. SO. At 9:25 or so, we left the colony where we live, with four other search parties driving the streets of San Jose Villa Nueva, looking for this massive gringo who is just a lost puppy right now. Right as we walk out of the gate of the guarded colony where we live, he comes walking on up as if nothing is happening! I throw my hands in the air, EXASPERATED, and say, (and I quote) "BRO!!! WHERE THE FREAK HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!??" I have never had the conflicting emotions of punching, and hugging someone so strongly in my life. He looked VERY confused. I then promptly informed him that we had FOUR search parties out looking for him! He told me that his watch said that it was only 8:30! He was SO confused as to what the problem was! I told him that NO!!! It's 9:30!!!!  So, I called the Bishop, and he asked me to call off the search dogs, which I did. Then I called President to inform him. He. Was. LIVID. He asked me, "WHERE HAS HE BEEN?!!?" I told him, in a very timid voice...well...I don't know! Would you like to talk to him? In a very stern voice he said, "YES. GIVE HIM THE PHONE." I very gladly handed the phone off. Elder Peña explained what happened, and everything turned out OK...but...man...scared the pants off of me! I NEVER want that to happen EVER for reals! President then told Elder Peña that he already had "Church security" deployed...not sure what that means, but...kind of cool that we have our own security team as missionaries! We've been looking over our shoulders for the past two days looking for the people who constantly follow us! Haven't seen anyone yet. But...All's well that ends well!!

So...this week I realized something. As a missionary, it is my job to testify of Christ ALWAYS. But, being in a one million percent Christian nation, where everyone thinks they have Christ in their hearts, you kind of lose the focus on that every once in awhile in testifying of the BoM, or Joseph Smith, or whatever else! So, this week I have been putting an emphasis on testifying of Christ. It has been amazing. I have noticed that the Spirit is in our lessons more, and the other things that I testify of after ALWAYS have more power! So...I just want you ALL to know that I KNOW that Christ is our Savior. He literally came to Earth to die for us. He didn't HAVE to do it, but he came below all things to suffer for all of us, and I KNOW He lives today. This is HIS church, and we will be able to come closer to him every day by reading His words, and praying and asking Heavenly Father for help to be able to do it. The key is OBEDIENCE to his laws. Obey, and we will see the blessings, and we will feel Christ closer to us every single day. I KNOW that these things are true, and I am SO VERY grateful for them every single day. Try to go out of your way this week to testify of Christ. Do it just one time, and I KNOW you'll feel some sort of difference in your lives.

I love you all. Have a wonderful week. Rainy season began yesterday with a FAT rainfall, so...here we go!!!
With a TON of love,

Elder Hopper #2

No comments:

Post a Comment