Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21, 2013

Well...Hello there familiares!

So...I now have another agenda that I need a quote for! So...perhaps there is actually someone other than my mother reading this...SEND ME A SHORT QUOTE!!! GET ON IT!!!

So, this week I got my package. Something blew my mind. In it there was a package of Skittles. THERE ARE GREEN APPLE SKITTLES?!?!?! Was lemon lime NOT GOOD ENOUGH?!?! Why must the world change while I'm gone? I'm not going to recognize ANYTHING when I get home!!! Poor me. Green apple skittles. Psh.





So, this week we were knocking doors, right? Here in Guatemala the large majority of doors have a little window thing they can open before opening the door, to see who is on the other side of the door. So, I knock on the door, and this lady from the other side of the door asks, "QUIEN?!?" I didn't answer, cuz if I say I'm a missionary, they likely don't answer the door. So...I just kept quiet, and she asked again, "QUIEN?!?!?!" No response. So, she comes to the window. The only problem? SHE WAS COMPLETELY NAKED. Like...a 60 year old lady, BUTT NAKED at the door! She saw me, kind of stood in shock for a second, and THEN decided to hide herself behind the door. I just didn't know what to do. So I just told her I'd come another day. It was just a mess. NEVER AGAIN.

Yesterday, for another glimpse at Guatemalan culture, we were talking to an investigator of ours in the street, where we found her walking. Her little four year old starts pulling on her shirt saying, "MOMMY!! PEE PEE!!!" (Which translates, apparently) so, what does mom say? "Ok...go pee on the truck tire over there!" Which he gladly did! This is just a funny country.

So, immediately after my experience with the naked lady, I had another really interesting experience. But this one was somewhat spiritual. We were knocking, and my companion ran into this SUPER Catholic guy. We talked for about 45 minutes, but he just kept going back to the scripture in Matthew 16 18, which says that Christ built HIS ONE CHURCH on the rock that is Peter. We explained it to him, but he was CONVINCED that because of that ONE verse, his church is one hundred percent true, that Peter was the first Pope, and all of this. Well...we weren't getting anywhere with that, so we went our way. The very next lesson we had was with this SUPER Evangelical guy. Evangelicals believe that there IS NO church of Christ on the earth, that we just have to accept Christ as our Savior, and ya! We're done! It's sad. But...it was REALLY interesting. He whipped out his Bible, and where did he turn? No other place than Matthew 16 18! He explained the scripture like this: Well, Christ built His church on ONE person, so WE ARE the church true of Christ! ONE PERSON is the church! It just made me VERY happy that we have a living Prophet on the earth to be able to explain what these things MEAN! I wish that people would just accept it, but...that's why we're here! Fighting for that one thing!

Well...love being a missionary! Thanks for everything! SEND ME QUOTES!!! I NEED THEM!!!

Love,

Elder Hopper #2

No comments:

Post a Comment