Well...no pictures this week. Sorry...either this computer place that I am at this week as well as last week's computers don't work, or my adapter has officially passed away. RIP. Guess we'll see next week! Today in seven!
So...for those of you that know me very well know that I
have one thing that I hate more than just about anything in the entire world.
It's ketchup. And one thing that I can't stand even MORE than that is mayo.
Well...those are their own food groups here in Guatemala. It's just...it's not
good. Well, last week we were at a family home evening with a bunch of new
converts. I wanted to make a good impression cuz I'm new in the area, and we
were playing games when the mom of the house came out with the evening's snack.
Can you guess what they were? Hot dogs! COVERED in ketchup, and mayo...I don't
think I've ever seen more mayo in my entire life. It seemed like they were
asking me to take a spoonful out of the jar and go to town on that. Now...if
it had been mustard, I would have been your man. But...it wasn't.
Well...wanting to make a good impression, and not wanting to offend anyone...I
went to work. They brought me a glass full of pineapple pop, so that helped.
But...I got about halfway through the sucker, just thinking of other things,
trying to keep my mind off of the horrific tastes that were happening in my
mouth, when I couldn't hold it in anymore. I gagged. Juuuust about threw up
right there in the living room. You may think this is pathetic, but ask anyone
who knows me really well...I would rather walk on hot coals after having shove
bamboo shoots up my toenails than eat mayo. Well...I gagged. And everyone
noticed. I felt terrible. Mom asked, "Do you not like it?" I
responded, with tears in my eyes..."No! It's delicious!" But...I
think they got the message when I left a quarter of the hot dog on the plate,
and ran out of the house, embarrassed. I felt so bad. I really hope they don't
go inactive because of my undying hatred towards mayo.
Well, I learned something pretty cool last week! One of the
missionaries who was in my district in Villa Nueva, Elder Hulse, is in my zone
now. While I was there, I was trying to get a kid of nine years baptized, but
dad wouldn't let him. I got in dad's face a little bit...telling him that he
was a sinner, that he needed to let his son be baptized, that his son's sins
would be over his head if he didn't let him, just getting in his face. He
didn't like it, and the Spirit left, and it all ended up in him yelling at me and
telling me to get out. But he lived in a street that we ALWAYS walked, and I
ALWAYS saw him. Well...on Monday, Elder Hulse told me a little bit about this
guy. Turns out he's one of the biggest drug dealers in all of Guatemala
City...he's got all sorts of money, and regularly sends for people to be shot.
I told off one of the biggest drug dealers in Guatemala, and hung out in that
same area for MONTHS afterwards. I have NO CLUE how I didn't die. God is
seriously taking care of us.
So, here in Tiquisate, there is a lovely thing that is just
starting! It is called the safra. I don't know how much the export, but I would
be willing to bet that all who are reading this have eaten sugar from
Guatemala. They have huuuuuuuuuuuge sugar cane fields. HUGE. But, in order to
reap it, and do all that, they have to get rid of the leaves of the sugar cane
that would cut if you dove right into it. So, what do they do? They burn it! So
that is just starting. I guess for the next six months or so, ash falls from
the sky like snow! And last week it started! Now...walking around with a white
shirt with black ash collecting in the streets about an inch thick...should be
interesting. I'll be sure to take pictures.
Love you all! All out of time!
Love,
Love you all! All out of time!
Love,
Elder Hopper 2
No comments:
Post a Comment