Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012

Well hello there family!

I know you're all on the edge of your seats, so I will announce the winner of our little contest! Thank you for your quotes, but it's hard to decided which one should win because the majority of the quotes were sent by my two favorite girls in the world!! But the winning quote, submitted by Brenna Dunlop, is.... "The past is behind--we must learn from it. The future is ahead--we must prepare for it. The present is now—we must live in it." - Thomas S. Monson  What a great quote! I'll be reading it for the next six weeks! Thanks B-Dop! And thank you mom, and Brother Pettijohn from the North Bend ward for the other awesome quotes! I'm going to print them all out...they were really good!

We had a great week this week! We set a weighty goal to get 50 lessons this week, and by the hair of our chinny chin chin we got it! We had two citas lined up that we thought were going to be 100% there and good...I can't think of the word to describe it in english...but...they were totally fijo! And then one of them dropped! This was on Sunday night, and we had 48 lessons for the week! We were running around like mad men trying to get in one last lesson, so we kind of cheated and went to a recent convert, who we were positive would let us in...but we got the goal! Win!

Elder Pegram and I have found a bit of a new thing. We now plan every night by candle light! And I have to say...it is SO relaxing! Give it a try! Tonight...light a candle, and just read for awhile! Takes all the cares in the world away!

We talked to my favorite temptation again this week...the guy who invited me in to watch the NBA Finals. And he told me the Miami Heat won! NOOOOOO!!! WHYYYYY?!?!?! Just breaks my heart the Lebron has a ring already. That's all I'm going to say about that. 

Last night we were really blessed to be able to have a Family Home Evening at the Stake President's house! He lives in a pretty rich part of the stake, which is about 20 minutes away from our house. We called the mission president to make sure we had permission to go, and he said that it would be fine. But we didn't want to just waste our time by going just us, so we invited the family that we are going to baptize this Sunday! Familia Garcia! Last week, we found out how poor this family is. We knew they were pretty destitute, but when we taught them the law of tithing we found out that live on about 10 Quetzales a day. 8 Quetzales = 1 dollar. Mathematics = $1.25 a day. Yikes. So we went to his house, and his wife makes lasagna...but this isn't just any lasagna...this is famous throughout the entire mission. And there is a reason. It is SO GOOOOOOD. There were four missionaries there, my comp and I, and the zone leaders, Elder Durfey and Lagos. WE WENT TO TOWN on this lasagna. And she made SO much! This poor little family who is just used to eating beans and bread every day didn't know what to do! They got a FAT piece of lasagna served up, and I don't think they felt good about eating it! They just munched on the bread and took little pieces of the lasagna. So, a little bit of coercing later, Daddy Garcia dove in. Then mommy joined the fray. I think they loved it! It was an awesome night, and they are really looking forward to their baptism this Sunday! I love this little family! We were walking to the bus yesterday to get there, and I was walking with two of their little girls, holding their hands behind mom and dad and my comp...and I just felt so much love for this little family! I don't know how to explain it, but I just LOVE these guys! Especially the four little girls!

So these pictures are from last night...we ate WAAY too much, and felt it. As you can see Elder Durfey in the picture with the pans practically dying...that's how we all felt.

Well...thanks for all the support guys, I love you a ton! We're being super blessed down here, and hopefully next week I'll be sending some pictures of a baptism!
Love,
Elder Hopper #2

No comments:

Post a Comment