Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 18, 2012

Hello family!

What a week I've had! Sorry I couldn't email yesterday, we had zone conference, so we were gone all day long! But it was AWESOME! I'll talk a little bit later about that...
So I've got a new companion, Elder Loo (Pronounced Loe) and he's from Panama! It's good to finally have  a Latin companion, maybe I'll finally learn Spanish!
He's a really nice guy, though...it's just a lot quieter around our house nowadays...not as much in common with Latin companions. He's never heard of DMB, or Panda Express, never went to High school (Schooling is was different in Central America) so we just don't have so much to talk about! But he's a great guy, and we're getting along great! He's a LOT slower paced than Elder Petersen, and A LOOOOOT slower pace than Elder Pegram, so I'm trying to drag him around a little bit, which works for now because I know that area and he doesn't, but he is senior comp, so we'll see what happens when he starts taking over!

So this Zone conference that we had was spectacular! We went to Escuintla, which is about an hour or so away, and it is HOOOOT there! We got off the bus, and the heat just punched us in the face! It didn't help that we were wearing our suit coats! But we walked to the Stake center from there, and got to hang out with out buddies for about 15 minutes before we sat down and studied for about half an hour before the conference started. Anywho, we had the conference, and Hermana Brough, the President's wife talked about Integrity, which was really good, she talked about the 2000 stripling warriors, and how they were full of integrity. Then President talked for a little bit, and we broke for lunch, which ended up getting cancelled because the stupid caterers screwed up. 80 hungry missionaries! Yay! But that's ok. After lunch we met with our Stake presidencies, cuz zones are split up for stakes here...I don't know if that's how it is throughout the world or not...But after that is where it REALLY got cool! President Brough talked again, and he was talking about how there are angels in this work. How angels guard us up, and protect us. He then posed the question, "Which of all the angels do you think are worried about you?" We thought about it for a second, and of course it's our kids! Well that's pretty cool, right? But that means we've got 3, 4, maybe 5 angels with us....but then he said, "And your grandkids, and great grandkids, and great GREAT grandkids!" That's like...hundreds of people! All depending, rooting, hoping, working for ME! Hoping that I do a good job so that they can be raised in a good family! Hoping that I don't screw up so that they can be blessed! Then we went the other way! Grandparents, great grandparents, all hoping that I make a good name for the name that they so cherished in this life! My mind immediately went to Uncle Bob. I don't know what it is about him, but I just LOVED that man! The Spirit was so strong, and I could just tell that he was there with me! I didn't even know him too well, I just know that he loved me a ton! He always made me feel super important when I was around him, even though I was just some snot nosed punk 10 year old! But I'm looking forward to seeing him again. That'll be a good day. 

I got my package this week too! I loved it! Thanks for all the skittles, and tasty little jolly rancher treats....but they're all gone. May they rest in peace. I LOVE having music again, and my agenda is in Portuguese! I stinkin love it! And the Brazilian candy, which you can clearly see I ate with much gusto. Even though they were about 5 months old, and kinda stale! Also, my District leader, Elder Tays got SUPER baggy for Oregon while he was looking at my calendar! He told me he wants to move there someday...we're already planning our camping trip two years from now! More packages will be gladly accepted! :)
 
We should be having two baptisms this Sunday...two family members of a recent convert, my first baptism in the field, actually, Helen and Suli...Pegram and Petersen will remember them! So we're pretty excited...but kind of nervous that they'll fall through. We're going over to their house every day, though, to make sure they stay excited for it!

Well...hopefully next week I'll have pictures of me all whited out! But for now I gotta go! Love you guys!
Much love,
Elder Hopper # 2

1 comment: