Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 31, 2013


HEEEELLO FAMILIA!!!

Well...it was a...well, completely honestly, it was a difficult week. Christmas is a LOT different here than it is there. It's basically an excuse to drink. I'll just say this...those who think it's ok to hit their children in ANY form...well...I sincerely hope they get theirs. It's the MOST COWARDLY thing a person could EVER do. With that being said, I'll let your imagination wander on what might have happened to us this week.


 

Our Christmas gift from the lady who gave us dinner!

Other than that, I am incredibly glad I am with Elder Haertel. I seriously love the guy a ton. This week we were just walking along the street when he stopped, looked at me, said, "What I'm about to do is SUPER awesome." He walked over to a family who was sitting on an outside table eating dinner, pulled out a seat, sat down, and started contacting him. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Dad was SO offended...maybe not the most effective missionary effort ever, but...sure was funny!


Christmas Dinner!
Last night, we were knocking doors. I knocked a door and a guy came out. He was nicely dressed in a clean polo shirt and nice jeans...that's pretty rare here, so I naturally thought he was a pastor. Well...I asked him if we could come in and share our message. He said, "Look...we've got a family activity going on right now." So I said that that was fine...we could come back any time! He said "The truth is that we don't live here. We live on the other side of Tiquisate." When I told him that that wasn't a problem either...we can take your address down and go there he got really serious and said, "Look, kid...I don't want to lie to you. The TRUTH is that we read the Bible." As if that were a reason not to talk to us. When he said that, I saw my companion at my side's face go up in one of those, "Riiiiiiiiiight" kind of motions, making the, "Ooooooooh" with his mouth. I swear...at that point I almost lost it. I just love the excuses people use here. Love me some Guatemala.

 


Christmas Jammies!
 
Yesterday we had zone leader counsel with President Brough. He said something that was very interesting. He said, "The three hours in the morning that you have to study get REALLY hard at the end of your mission. Satan ATTACKS them because he doesn't want you going home good at studying the scriptures." and you know what? It's totally true! This hasn't happened to me since my first change back in April of 2012...I actually fell asleep during personal study this week! Nobody even noticed, but I just felt so embarrassed! that NEVER happens to me anymore! But...it did! So...gotta fight it even harder at the end of my mission than I did at the beginning! What fun. 


Well...no mas. Sorry...boring email again this week. Should be an interesting week this week, though...lots of stuff to do with divisions and working with missionaries and meetings...yay! We did get some awesome news this week, though...Elder Cook is coming to do a conference with our mission on the 22nd of January! I am SO excited!!!
Love you all!
Love,

Elder Hopper 1

No comments:

Post a Comment