Tomorrow we have entrevistas with the President, and on Wednesday we're going to the zoo! So this week I'm on juuuust a little bit early!
We had a really good week this week! I can't believe we're almost done with this change already, but we're in week FIVE! This change has FLEW by! And I think this will be my last week here in this area...but it wouldn't surprise me if I stayed with ELder Loo here! My entire District, and one of my zone leaders have decided that I'm doomed to go to the mountains this next change and learn Sutujil! Buuuut no one but the Lord knows at this point.
This week we have been working a lot with the familia Morales. It is a dad, mom, and a daughter. These people are the salt of the earth, and really poorer than poor. The dad got really sick about a year ago, and hasn't been able to work, while the mom has been washing and ironing clothes as much as she can. That's a pretty normal job for woman to do here if they don't have work. A lot of the more wealthy people have hired help in the homes, too. So they go to better off people and ask if they need clothes washed. But we contacted them on the street about two weeks ago, and they said that they weren't incredibly interested, but we invited them to come to church with us, and what do you know...they actually showed up! So we set a cita to come by during the week, and they wren't there. But we kept going back, and finally we were able to get a hold of them. We walked into their house, which is more like...well....it's a sheet metal roof leaning up against a wall made out of block. More like a lean-to, really. They said that they basically love everything about the Gospel. Yesterday in church for the Principles of the Gospel class, we talked about tithing. This morning we went by, and talked about church yesterday. Mom looked at me, and started to cry. She was so worried about paying tithing, because she wanted more than anything to pay it, but literally had 0 Quetzales to her name, and how she was working so hard to find work, but just couldn't find it. It was a huge lesson in humility. I've come to realize just how blessed we really are. Everything we have is just a giant blesing. We really would be NOTHING without the blessings of Heavenly Father in our lives. At the end of this lesson the mom ran and poured us both a glass of juice. I had two reactions: One-This is going to make me veeeeery sick. But then I realized how generous of an offering this really was. This literally penniless lady is giving us fresco, cuz it was a hot morning, and she was worried about US. I literally almost cried as I drank it. Awesome family. I needed something like this to humble mighty Mr. Drew. I will forever be super grateful for this family, even if they end up not getting baptized. They taught me more in ten minutes than I could ever teach them ever. Things the mission does to you, huh?
I don't know how to segue from that into my funny stories from the week, so we're just gonna jump right in.
Yesterday, a drunk guy showed up to church. Sat riiiiiight next to me, and decided to breathe his nasty beer breath on me for about an hour! It was a lot of fun! Every time one of the testimonies got up to speak and said, "Buenos dias" he would say back really loud, "Gracias! Buenos dias!" Didn't know what to do exactly. But at the end of Sacrament meeting I looked at him and said, really quick, "Well thanks for coming! We'll see you next week!" And promptly led him out the door. My greatest fear was that I was going to have to baby sit him throughout Principles of the Gospel class! But thankfully i dodged that bullet. We have a cita with him today! We'll see if he remembers. I'm betting on no.
I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but all of Guatemala is about 30 years behind on everything, but ESPECIALLY hair styles, and music. We decided to tract out a street on Saturday, and the entire time someone was outside washing their car BLASTING 80's music. It was great. Then,we went to one of our investigator's houses on Sunday, and he was BLASTING "Barbie world" He kept saying, "Well I don't know what the words mean, but I just love this song!" I had to work really really hard to no bust out laughing. One of the funniest experiences of my life.
So this last P day, like I think i told you...we went to Walmart to get my comp new shoes. While we were there, I took advantage of the time and bought myself some AMERICAN food! Kraft Mac N' Cheese!
Also, we all have a lady who cooks us lunch every day! And she makes delicious food! But sometimes the meat is a liiiiittle bit...well...as Marmy likes to say, "Gristly"
So that explains these two food-based pictures.
I love you all! I must get back to the lucha now! But thank you for all of your support, and love!
Muchisimo amor,
Elder Hopper 2 (Like Elder Hopper 1's dilemma, these computers don't have number signs.)
No comments:
Post a Comment