Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 19, 2012

Hello my dearest family/friends/acquaitances(sp?)/conocidos/buddies/anybody who for some reason happens to be reading this!

This has been a very. very eventful week! Last week right after we got done with email, we went to the Capitol to have a tri mission meeting with the President of the quorom of the 70, Elder Maynes! It was SO cool! I was a bit frustrated, because they only gave us about two days warning, and I had already had a day full of meetings planned out, but it was an awesome conference! He talked a lot about the Plan of Savacion, and how it blesses our lives. It's the why of why we're out here preaching the Gospel! The Plan of Salvation is the second lesson in the missionary lessons, and he said something that I really liked. He said that unless you are inspired to go another way with the lessons, you should just follow what is laid out, because that's inspired itself! And people need to know why the restoration is important! What they can gain from keeping the commandments, and that is eternal life with their families and God! Because I don't know about you, but heaven wouldn't be heaven to me without my family!

Ok so I have this thing...I like to put cool quotes on the back of my planner that keep me motivated. Right now I have one from President Hinckley that says, "I think of another kind of tragedy we frequently see, that of persons of high aim and low achievement. Their motives are noble. Their proclaimed ambition is praiseworthy. Their capacity is great. But their discipline is weak. They succumb to indolence. Lack of effort robs them of will." That keeps me going. I don't want to get to heaven and President Hinckey look at me and say, "What a tragedy!" So...I need a new one for the next change! So anyone and everyone, give me your favorite quote, and next week I'll announce the winner! Ready....GO! And we'll do this every six weeks, so if you don't win this time...don't get discouraged, champ! You're a winner in my book!

Elder Pegram and I gave service this week to a family who owns a coffee plantation! (Is that sacreligious?) So now I can start stories like this: This one time, when I was working on a Guatemalan coffee plantation...HOW COOL IS THAT!? But there is a fun story here. We were working, and my hand bumped up against this plant...I found the poison ivy of Guatemala. Only it's poison ivy times A MILLION. My hand just caught on FIRE! Apparently it's called, "Chichicasta" and is really quite prevelant around the area that I'm at. I guess they make fences and stuff out of it. BUT IT HURT! It's the devil in a plant! But I kept working...and then my foot found some! GAH! So my FOOT was on fire! It hurt for like...three days! And the best part is...we get to go back and give more service there on Friday! Yay!

Elder Pegram and I have been working really hard with this family that Elder Petersen and I had found at a Mothers day activity. Theyr'e the family Garcia! Super sweet family, and they agreed to a baptismal date on the 8th of July! We're pretty excited for them, and they have three little girls, and two of them are twins...the twins are about 2 years old, and every single time we pass by their house now they run out to the sidewalk and start yelling, "Mormonis! Mormonis!" And every time we get up close to them they stick out their tongues at me because I did to them the first time I met them! Gah they're just so cute! That's the worst part about being a missionary...not being able to play with kids!

We finally got a hold of Nery, our drunkard. He's such a sweet guy. But he told us he's an alcoholic (Who's surprised!?) so he has to wait about two months before he can get baptized. We're happy for him, though. He's working on it and making great steps toward getting baptized!

We had Stake conference on Sunday, which was really cool! But right in the middle of the meeting when our Mission president was speaking, this big old black dog just walked right into the meeting! Ha! Woops! So someone had to run up and shoosh the chucho out of the meeting...kind of ruined the spirit of things for a few seconds! But certainly gave all of us a good laugh!

So...this last Sunday was Father's day! I would like to wish happy fathers day to my dear trainer, Elder Petersen. I hope all is well, and you are getting on the goal of six months. You know what I'm talking about. Much love. But I would like to wish a VERY VERY Happy father's day to my dear biological father....DAD! I love you dad, thank you for everything you've ever done for me. You're seriously one of my best friends, and I can't wait to play volleyball with you in a little while! I love you dad!

Well...that's about it for this week! I love you guys a ton, and I love your emails BUT I WANT MOOOOORE! :) I'm just a liiiittle greedy.

Love you a ton!
Love,
Elder Hopper #2

P.S...Spanish is spoken here (Who knew?!) but whenever they pick up a phone they say, "Hello?"
A few other Spanish phrases in English: Car wash, Baby shower....what a weird country this is!

No comments:

Post a Comment