Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12, 2012

Hello family! What a...very bland week I've had! This has been the most typical missionary week I think anyone could ever have! We talked to a lot of people, had a lot of lessons, and got rejected a LOT of times! Nothing really spectacular this week!
 BUT we did have two baptisms! And that was REALLY exciting! We baptized a lady named Rosa Hernandez, and she LOVES the church. She came to church the first time, and wanted to be baptized on the spot! What an awesome thing attending church is! I love going to church! Well....it's a little more stressful these days, but I still love it! And what a powerful tool for converting people it is! People can really feel how true this Gospel is when they attend church! But we also baptized a man named Rolando Gil...he was also 1000% chosen! You have to attend church three times in order to be baptized, but every other week he goes to visit his wife in another city, so in order to be baptized this week he had to go to church there last week! So he sook the church out, showed up totally alone, and attended ALL THREE HOURS! It was awesome! Then, he just had to attend this week to get baptized. So we showed up at his house an hour early to walk with him, and he wasn't there! Gah! We were stressing out! So we figured maybe he had already headed over there. So we went to the church, and he wasn't there! NOOOO!!! So we RAN back to his house to try and find him, and he just wasn't there! I was about to cry. So we, rejected and alone, went back to the chapel for church, praying that maybe he showed up by some miracle. He wasn't there. So we just went through our Sunday, and when the time for the baptism rolled around...guess who showed up?! Rolando! So my companion took him aside to explain to him that he wouldn't be able to be baptized, and he swore he came t church that morning! I was getting ready to question whether this guy was right in the head when a member from the OTHER ward in the building came up and said, "Yeah! He was here! He sat with us!" He came to the ward that starts at 8:00 in our building! He WAS there! What a relief! So we were able to baptize him! Next week we'll just have to be a liiiittle bit more clear about what time church starts!


So...these pictures of me in a U of O shirt. I want to make it very clear that my deep, dark hatred of the Ducks still stands. I haven't decided that I love them. BUT we went paca hopping (The little stores that get donated clothes from the states) yesterday for P day and I found this one! I couldn't not get it! It was from Oregon! So...I threw down the 5 Quets (something like...65 cents) to buy it. High roller. And the other picture is of us and our baptisms! I baptized the two closest to me. The guy in the suit is my new companion, Elder Pegram, and the blondie next to me is Elder Watts, Carter Peck's best friend! But...just to be 100% sure that everyone understands...I DON'T LIKE THE DUCKS. :D















We had another investigator named Nery...I think I've talked about him a few times before. He would not come to church! So he FINALLY came to church twice! And he loved it! He wanted to get baptized! But then...well...he fell. Hard. I think last week I told you that we went over there and he was drunk. Well...the same thing happened Tuesday. And Wednesday. And Thursday. And since then, we haven't been able to find him. And he was telling us about this guy that wanted to kill him! I don't know if that was just drunken paranoia, or if there is actually someone who wants to kill him! But I'm SO WORRIED about him! I feel like a parent who is guarding his little child from danger! I love this guy! I want to see him get baptized, but there is nothing we can do if we can't find him sober! So...prayers will be necessary for him.

The other day I was wearing this tie...it was blue, with green stripes. I knew it had some sort of significance, but I just couldn't figure out where it came from! Then about half way throught the day it dawned on me! It was the tie from the percussion 101 show! Ha! I got a good kick out of that.

So today we are going to the Capital to have a three mission wide conference! We leave right after we are done here emailing, that is why I'm emailing so early today! But we have no idea who will be speaking! So we are pretty excited to see what happens! Mostly, I'm excited to go contact the busses. I love busses.

Well...I must be going now! I love each and every one of you! Thank you for all your support and love! I hope you guys get as much joy from reading my emails as I do sending them!

Love,
Elder Hopper #2


Cultural fact: If you go to a restaurant here and ask for water they will ask you, "¿Que sabor?" Which means, "What flavor?" You have to specify what kind of "Water" you want! If you want just water you have to say, "Agua pura" if you want Pop...get this...you have to ask for, "Agua gaseosous" or...gaseous water! Ha! What a confused language Spanish is...

No comments:

Post a Comment